Treasures of the Balkans (Summer 2018)
Brochure Type: Europe 2018
This is where the sway of the Mediterranean meets Central Europe and blends with the exotic East. From the Danube to Dracula's castle, there is history at every turn.
Additional Included Highlights
- Bucharest: See University Square and the former Communist Headquarters.
- Veliko Tarnovo: See the Monument of the Assens.
- Arbanassi: Visit a traditional 17th century merchants' house and the Church of the Holy Nativity.
- Skopje: Visit the capital of Macedonia.
- Kotor: Visit the Stari Grad, or Old Town, perfectly positioned on a beautiful bay.
- Dubrovnik: Enjoy time at leisure to explore the Pearl of the Adriatic as you wish.
- Sarajevo: See the Latin Bridge where Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated.
- Palic: Visit this town sitting on the Serbian-Hungarian border. See the water tower and the art nouveau buildings by the lake.
- Budapest: See the Parliament and visit Heroes' Square in Pest.
- Scenic Drives: Prahova Valley, Sinaia, Carpathian Mountains, Balkan Mountains, Lake Ohrid, Bosnian Mountains, Province of Vojvodina, Puszta.
- Dubrovnik: You will be offered a varied selection of charming restaurants to choose from for your Dine-Around Evening.
- Sarajevo: You are invited into a Sarajevan family home for a dinner with drinks. Savour the warm hospitality and authentic cuisine as you hear inspirational stories about their culture and recent struggles.
- Sarajevo: Experience authentic Bosnian coffee and learn about the traditional ritual of coffee preparation.
- Budapest: Dine in elegance and savour Hungarian delicacies accompanied with specially-selected Hungarian wine during your Celebration Dinner at Gundel.
- Veliko Tarnovo: Enjoy a Highlight Dinner of local specialties with wine and witness a folklore show.
- Dining Summary: 17 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 10 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Mostar: Explore the Old Town and see the Stari Most with your Local Expert.
- Sarajevo: Visit the Tunnel of Hope hear a firsthand account of when the city was under siege for 44 months from a resident who was privy to the city's secret lifeline.
- Tirana: A local resident will meet you at Skanderbeg Square and walk you through their home city and explain what it's like to live in the Albanian capital.
- Budapest: The 5-star Corinthia Budapest Hotel is one of the grandest luxury hotels in Budapest. An impressive landmark building with an imposing Neo-classical facade and soaring glass atrium. Excellent technology and personal service ensures an elegant and luxurious stay.
- Dubrovnik: Your Local Expert will guide you through this ancient city, surrounded by well-preserved walls built in the Middle Ages. See Onofrio's Fountain, the Rector's Palace and the Franciscan and Dominican monasteries.
- Sarajevo: A Local Expert will show you the cobbled old town market where Sarajevo was founded by the Ottomans, known as Ba?car?ija. You will also see the Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque.
- Belgrade: A Local Expert will show you St. Sava Church, Terazije Street, the national museum, national theatre, Republic Square and the Kalemegdan Fortress.
- Budapest: Visit the colourful Matthias Church and gaze out over the Danube and giant domed Hungarian Parliament Building from the heights of the Fisherman's Bastion.
- Bucharest: Walk the cavernous halls of the vast Palace of Parliament, learn about the history and listen to amusing tales from your Local Expert.
- Sinaia: Led by a local historian, witness the opulent and sumptuous decor in Pele? Castle, the fairy-tale Royal summer residence, at the foot of the Bucegi Mountains.
- Bran: Visit the imposing medieval castle guarding the old Transylvanian border and embrace its stories, myths and legends from Count Dracula to romantic Queen Marie.
- Brasov: Explore Town Hall Square with your Local Expert and see the Black Church.
- Arbanassi: This is one of Bulgaria's most beautiful villages and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The frescoed churches and fortified dwellings offer a unique insight into the former wealth and spiritual commitment of the settlement.
- Veliko Tarnovo: With you Local Expert, ascend Tsarevets, the King's Hill, crowned by a ruined medieval citadel. Enjoy the views and imagine yourself back in the days of the Crusades when this was the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom.
- Ohrid: Walk the cobbled, narrow streets of the Old Town with your Local Expert.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 19 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Bucharest||Welcome to Bucharest.: Transfers depart Henri Coanda International Airport at 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00 for your hotel, which is one of the city's most sophisticated and prestigious landmarks. At 18:00, join your Travel Director and fellow travellers for your Welcome Dinner served with wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest.
|Day 3||Brasov||From Bucharest to Brasov.: Join a Local Expert for a sightseeing to view University Square and the former Communist Headquarters. Visit the immense Parliament Palace, one of the largest buildings in the world. Travel along the Prahova Valley to the elegant Alpine resort of Sinaia to visit Pele? Castle, the former summer residence of Romania's first royal family. Led by a local historian, admire the lavish rooms filled with art, armour and tapestries. Continue through the Carpathian Mountains to the charming medieval city of Brasov, founded in 1211 by the Teutonic Knights. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 4||Transylvania||Transylvania: Castles, Myths and Legends.: With your Local Expert, take a walk around Town Hall Square, lined with beautiful red-roofed houses and dominated by the Black Church. Then, picture a horse and carriage careering up a wet mountainous road, thunder booming and lightning illuminating the medieval fortress guarding the Transylvanian border. Visit Bran Castle, said to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's novel and discover if this popular image of Dracula's castle is true or like the vampire story itself, only a myth. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 5||Veliko Tarnovo||Veliko Tarnovo, the City of the Tsars.: Cross the Danube into Bulgaria and continue to Veliko Tarnovo, the City of the Tsars, where houses cling to the cliffs of the River Yantra, making it one of the country's most beautiful towns. In the evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner of local specialties and wine, followed by an authentic folklore show. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Yantra Grand Hotel
|Day 6||Sofia||From the Old Bulgarian Capital to the New.: In the morning, see the Monument of the Assens, before meeting your Local Expert to climb up to the ruined Tsarevets Fortress, a reminder of the town's former imperial status. Enjoy the stunning views over the old Bulgarian capital and the Yantra Valley. At the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Arbanassi, visit a traditional 17th century merchants' house and enjoy the acoustics in the Church of the Holy Nativity. Cross the Balkan Mountains to Bulgaria's modern day capital of Sofia. On arrival, sightseeing with a Local Expert takes you to St. Sofia Church, across the square from the golden domed St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the archaeological complex, dominated by the church of St. George Rotonda. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 7||Sofia||Sofia at Your Pace.: (Relaxed Start) Enjoy the day at your leisure. Perhaps visit the Rila Monastery or enjoy a fascinating insight into the largest and most famous Eastern Orthodox monastery in Bulgaria? (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 8||Skopje||Skopje and Ohrid.: Cross the border and continue to the Macedonian capital of Skopje, an ultra-modern city juxtaposed by an ancient bazaar, where Turkish influences can still be seen and felt. Then head for mountain-ringed Lake Ohrid, its shores dotted with monasteries and villages. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 9||Tirana||Tirana on the Move.: (Relaxed Start) In the morning, sightseeing with a Local Expert will show you the narrow streets of Ohrid's Old Town. Cross into Albania and journey to Tirana, renowned for its friendly locals. Meet a resident expert at the landmark Skanderbeg Square for an insider's look at the Albanian capital. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Sheraton Tirana Hotel.
|Day 10||Dubrovnik||Kotor and Dubrovnik, Pearl of the Adriatic.: Journey through the spectacular scenery of Montenegro to the Old Town of Kotor, known as Stari Grad. Located beside a beautiful bay near the limestone cliffs of Mt. Lovcen, its no surprise it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Continue over the Croatian border to the fortified port of Dubrovnik where you are at leisure to explore the Old Town, bustling with street artists, cafes and restaurants. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik.
|Day 11||Dubrovnik||Dubrovnik Sightseeing and Time at Leisure.: Join a Local Expert for a morning of exploring the stone-paved streets within the 16th century bastions. See Onofrio's Fountain and the Rector's Palace, the city walls and the Franciscan and Dominican monasteries. The rest of the day is free for you to immerse yourself in the beautiful surroundings. Perhaps enjoy an Optional Experience to a stunning town on the Adriatic coast, Cavtat, where you can wander along the pine-forest paths beside the crystal-clear sea. At night you may choose from a fine selection of restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik.
|Day 12||Dubrovnik||Dubrovnik, Paradise on Earth.: (Relaxed Start) Spend another day at leisure in the Pearl of the Adriatic. Sunbathe by the pool or stroll with friends along the ancient city walls. Perhaps explore some of the film locations of the award-winning series 'Game of Thrones' and appreciate the enterprising spirit of the Old Harbour? As the sun starts to set, maybe take a relaxing cruise to admire the city and its incredible walls from the water. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik.
|Day 13||Sarajevo||Mostar and Sarajevo.: Journey to Mostar. With your Local Expert, see the famous Stari Most, the Old Bridge, reconstructed after being almost completely destroyed during the war. Explore the cobbled Old Town stretching on both sides of the bridge and filled with shops selling souvenirs. Continue your travels following the scenic route to Sarajevo for a unique and rewarding insight into the local way of life as you are invited into a Sarajevan family home for a dinner with drinks. Savour the warm hospitality and authentic cuisine as you hear inspirational stories about their culture and recent struggles. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Bristol Sarajevo.
|Day 14||Sarajevo||Sarajevo, City of Culture.: Start the morning with sightseeing. Visit the Sarajevo War Tunnel Museum and talk to one of the survivors, for whom the Siege of Sarajevo remains a defining moment in his life. With a Local Expert, see the Latin Bridge where Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated sparking World War 1. Experience authentic Bosnian coffee and learn about the traditional ritual of Bosnian coffee preparation. The rest of the afternoon is for you to explore as you wish. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Bristol Sarajevo.
|Day 15||Belgrade||The Serbian Capital of Belgrade.: (Relaxed Start) Journey through the remote villages and spa resorts of the forested Bosnian mountains to Belgrade. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Metropol Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Belgrade.
|Day 16||Belgrade||The Best of Belgrade.: (Relaxed Start) Join a Local Expert to see the best of Belgrade. Visit St. Sava Church, Terazije Street, the national museum and national theatre in Republic Square. Finish your sightseeing at the Kalemegdan Fortress, situated at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers. Enjoy a free afternoon to relax or continue exploring on your own. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 17||Budapest||Across the Wild Puszta to Budapest.: As you journey north, pass the riverside fortress at Novi Sad and cross the Province of Vojvodina to reach Palic on the Hungarian border. See the unusual water tower, and wander down to the lake where you can admire the art nouveau buildings. Continue on through the vast wilderness of the Puszta, where cowboys rustle up goulash under the stars. Your destination will be Budapest on the Danube. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Corinthia Hotel Budapest.
|Day 18||Budapest||Budapest, Queen of the Danube.: Venture into the heart of Buda's medieval Castle District with a Local Expert to visit Matthias Church and take in the view of the immense Hungarian Parliament Building from the Fisherman's Bastion. Cross the Danube to the Pest district to visit Heroes' Square and travel down elegant Andrassy Boulevard. Enjoy time to wander through the Central Market Hall. Spread over three levels, the market is a foodie's paradise, brimming with aromatic food stalls offering delicious salamis, spicy paprika, delicious Tokaji wines and an array of flavoured Palinkas, a traditional Hungarian fruit brandy. Tonight you are in for a treat with your Celebration Dinner at Gundel, one of Budapest's most renowned restaurants for over a hundred years. Dine in elegance as you savour hearty, Hungarian delicacies accompanied with specially-selected Hungarian wine. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Corinthia Hotel Budapest.
|Day 19||Depart Budapest||Depart Budapest.: Departure transfers arrive at Ferenc Liszt International Airport at 07:00 and 11:00. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Visas: Some passports may require Visas, please speak to your Travel Agent at time of booking to assess your requirements as documents may not be issued at borders in Europe.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class